Our house is cozy, and we admittedly have too many things. Having a baby meant even more things to contend with organizing, so great storage options are very important in our household! Closetmaid sent me their new 3 Cube Decorative Storage in exchange for this review with my honest thoughts and opinions. This organization cube is brand new and will be on the market within the next few weeks, so I was really excited to get to try it out.
So when I went to put together my cube, I couldn’t find the instructions. I had misplaced them. Unfortunately, they’re not on the website yet that I could see since it’s a new product. The good news is I was able to put the entire thing together without instructions in under 45 minutes. I am not an expert at furniture assembly by any means, so I think this speaks volumes about how easy the Closetmaid cube is to put together. With instructions (which you will have if you purchase one), I am sure assembly would go even faster. Sunshine really wanted to help, she did help a bit by throwing styrofoam everywhere (see the destruction below at the top of the photo). Then she decided to try to eat the styrofoam and her time helping was over. Daddy saved the day so I could finish up the cube.
Almost everything I needed to assemble the cube was included; the only things I needed were a screwdriver and a hammer. Not too bad considering I’ve assembled things before and needed multiple types of screw drivers as well as glue. The cube consists of a few main wood pieces: two sides, top and bottom, two shelves, and a back panel. The back panel is a dark color board that matches the wood tone. I decided not to attach it in the end because I like the open look, but if the back side is going to be exposed you would use the back panel since the back of the cube is unfinished. The hardware kit included an anchor to attach the cube to the wall – this is great for babyproofing. Once I got it all together and dusted it off a bit (yeah I need to sweep), I was really happy with the results! I felt accomplished, but I was also happy the cube was such a breeze to assemble.
It looks great, right? I put some toys, books, and a basket I already had in the cube to try it out. Closetmaid is going to sell matching bins, so I will have to get those when they are available. By the way, you can win your own set of 3 bins below! I’m very happy with the cube, my only wish is that the holes on the bottom had some kind of cover in case you wanted to lie it down on its side. Once you screw the nails in there are still exposed holes. I think the cube is designed to stand up, so that’s why the holes are not covered. Still, it would be great lying on its side since kids could get toys out of it easily on the ground. The good news is everywhere else the holes are capped or not exposed, so you will not see hardware poking out anywhere. Also, the cube is not super tall, so it will still work well for families. The dimensions are approximately 44″ tall by 16″ wide and 14.5 inches deep. The interior cube shelf space is a 13″x13″ square area, so it will fit bins that are that size or smaller. It’s a good size, but not overwhelmingly large which is nice for smaller spaces. Our home isn’t huge so we need compact storage.
Why I love it
- It’s sturdy – as you can see from image labeled side view in the assembly photo, the inside is not hollow! A lot of furniture these days is hollow inside, and that drives me nuts
- Not too heavy – this is a concern since it is so sturdy, so nice to know it’s easy for me to move around without my husband’s help
- Comes with anchor to secure it – yay, safety for a mobile child!
- Color is nice, I am a fan of dark wood tones
- Love the shelf space, 13″x13″ is a flexible size that can accommodate larger toys or books as well as smaller items
- Easy to assemble – I don’t have 3 hours to spend assembling furniture anymore, this is really important to me
- Love that I can buy coordinating pieces, no more measuring or searching for the right size storage bins to fit in your organizational unit
- Arrived at my house well packed and undamaged – you’d be surprised what I’ve dealt with in the past trying to buy other brands of furniture and opening it to find something damaged because it wasn’t packed up properly before shipment
- Finally, it just looks better than a lot of the storage options on the market at big box stores, this looks like and is a nice piece of furniture in my opinion; I can’t afford to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on storage units, so it is awesome or get something nice at Closetmaid’s affordable prices
Watch Closetmaid.com, this cube will be available for purchase soon!
Enter to win a set of three Khaki bins below!
Winner is Holli J.
Gator Mommy Reviews may have been compensated for this post or received products in exchange for my honest opinion. My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own. This post may contain affiliate links. Gator Mommy Reviews is not responsible for sponsor prize shipment.
©Gator Mommy Reviews, 2012-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s owner is strictly prohibited. Images and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Gator Mommy Reviews with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.