I take three things with me in my car at all times: my stroller, a soft-structured carrier (SSC), and my Comfy Joey Ring Sling. I have a few wraps, but I usually wear a size 7 wrap and that is a lot of fabric to tote around if I am not going to use it. Of the three things I mentioned only one of them fits in my diaper bag well, and that’s my Comfy Joey Ring Sling. It’s the most compact carrier I own. Comfy Joey sent me a ring sling in exchange for a review with my honest thoughts and opinions.
This is my first ring sling, so I am a newbie! Before I received my Comfy Joey I borrowed a ring sling from my local babywearing group to help me compare and learn how to use a ring sling properly. Fortunately it was threaded for me, but that also meant I had to learn how to thread my new ring sling when it arrived. After youtubing, googling, and feeling kind of dumb I figured it out relatively quickly.
Luckily Comfy Joey also sends an instructional DVD with their slings. I chose the House on the Prairei linen ring sling. I loved the colors of this particular sling – it’s a deep grey with light pink on the tail (the part of the sling that hangs down). The second reason I chose this sling is that it is a fundraiser sling: if you purchase this sling Comfy Joey will donate $10 to a non-profit called Everyday Miracles to help people access baby carriers that cannot afford them. You can read more about the fundraiser and the little girl that inspired the House on the Prairei sling here.
I am really enjoying my sling after a few weeks of use at various places: shopping, around the house, the beach, and even car shopping in 90 degree weather. My favorite thing about it is that is very cool. Linen has a tendency to breathe which is something I can’t say for my SSCs or wraps. I am hot-natured and Sunshine and I both end up sweating in most carriers, but the Comfy Joey ring sling is definitely cooler.
I know I look goofy, but this is a quick photo I had my husband snap of her in the sling hanging out around the house. I am not wearing the sling 100% correct, but it gives you a general idea of how it looks in person. It’s really pretty! I got the toddler width so that I could use it longer since Sunshine is already 6 months old. The toddler width sling in the fabric that I chose is approximately $155. An advantage to a ring sling is that it mostly takes the guesswork out of sizing for a baby carrier. As a plus size Mom I worry about how well SSCs or wraps will fit me. If you don’t have access to SSCs or wraps to test, then you can easily order the wrong carrier for you. I found the ordering process and sizing very easy with Comfy Joey. Ring slings are a safe bet for just about every body shape and size, and Comfy Joey allows you to choose your tail length which is wonderful for petite mamas who do not want a ton of tail hanging down.
- Lots of color/design options
- Different fabric options (linen, silk, wool, water sling)
- Price is reasonable, competitive with other slings and wraps on the market
- More supportive than stretchy wraps so great for older babies, but can also be used with young babies
- Linen options breathe well in warmer climates (or if you overheat like me year round)
- Easy to use
- Compact and portable: since it’s not a lot of fabric can fold it easily and toss into a diaper bag
- Can choose your tail length with sizing
- All the advantages that go with babywearing (baby is close to you, hands are free, etc.)
- The linen is a bit scratchy when you first get it, needs to be used to soften up
- For some people it might be easier if it’s pre-threaded
- Wish it had a pocket
Do you have a Comfy Joey Ring Sling, or would you like to try one?
Go here to buy your own Comfy Joey Ring Sling
Enter HERE for a chance to win a Comfy Joey Ring Sling
Gator Mommy Reviews may have been compensated for this post or received products in exchange for my honest opinion. My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own. Gator Mommy Reviews is not responsible for sponsor prize shipment.
Latest posts by Sarah (see all)
- Monkey See Monkey Do Eco-Friendly Baby Clothing Review - November 7, 2013
- Closetmaid Three Cube Decorative Storage Review & Bins Giveaway - October 31, 2013
- Juppy Momentum Baby Walker Review & Giveaway - October 30, 2013